Religious News Articles on HT
God's Heart Beats for the Oppressed
The Church has an incredible opportunity today to preach Christ through their actions. With over 2,000 verses on the vulnerable and God's love for them, the Bible is filled with abolition and slavery. From well know examples like Exodus and the early years of David to Acts where Paul and Silas were thrown into Prison for making traffickers mad by cutting off their profit.
Jesus himself said, "The Spirit of the LORD is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free,"
If 15% of Americans would rally behind abolition and bringing human trafficking to an end, every SINGLE slave would have an advocate, someone fighting for them. It would change things! Imagine: 47 million people asking their members of Congress to make ending slavery a priority or to support a certain anti-trafficking bill. Imagine if 47 million people in the United States knew the signs of trafficking and kept their eyes open. People would become free in waves. Let's make it happen .
Change is possible. You see, traffickers are afraid right now. They are afraid that people will stand up to them. They are afraid that better laws will be passed that will take away their way of living once they get caught. We see it on the trafficker's message boards all the time. They are afraid of what they do being brought into the light.
What you can do:
- Host a Freedom Sunday.
- Become a Lay person.
- Set up a table with brochures, hotline cards, posters, and other awareness materials. Contact us for materials.
- Speak to your Sunday School Class or whole Church on the issue of human trafficking. Once people accept that there is a problem, they want to know how they can help.
- Invite a Speaker to speak to your church or class. We love sharing with people how they can have an active role in ending slavery.
- Raise money for local anti-trafficking work. You can help us fight local trafficking by visiting our Donation page and our Store.
- Stop using businesses like Wendy's and Kroger that do not do their part to help end slavery.
Resources for Churches:
72 Daily Prayer Points from Passion
For Youth/College Groups
Other Resources for Churches:
Presbyterian Tool Kit For Action