According to a new eMarketer report, “Worldwide Social Network Users: 2013 Forecast and Comparative Estimates,” nearly one in four people worldwide used social networks in 2013. The number of social network users around the world rose from 1.47 billion in 2012 to 1.73 billion in 2013, an 18% increase
The average adult Facebook user has 338 Facebook friends. One of the first steps in fighting human trafficking is awareness. We are asking that people use their social media voice to help spread awareness and spark conversations about this crime. To help, some sample social media posts can be found below. For pictures, Google things like "human trafficking", "modern-day slavery", "sex trafficking", "labor trafficking" and etc.
- According to the Global Slavery Index, there are currently 45.8 million slaves in the world.
- Human trafficking is the 2nd largest illegal business, raking in over 150 billion annually.
- Human Trafficking has been reported in every country and every state.
- The youngest documented sex trafficking victim in Baton Rouge was just 6 yrs. old.
- Within the first 72 hours of being on the streets, children will be approached for commercial sex. Louisiana continues to have one of the highest rates of homeless children in the nation.
- There may be over 45 million people in slavery, but there are 7 billion who can bring freedom.
- Human Trafficking happens everywhere, including SWLA. For more info and how you can help stop it, visit www.swlaabolitionists.com
- Talk to your child about human trafficking.
- Know who your child is talking to online.
- If your child is receiving "gifts" or new things unexpectedly, know where they are coming from.
- Be a good parent. Speak with love always. Runaways are at a higher risk of being trafficked
- Input the Human Trafficking Hotline (1-888-373-7888) and textline (233733) in all of your phones.
- Read and make your kids read "Stay safe from online sexual exploitation: a guide for young people."